Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Weekend

I spent my Saturday mostly packing up my balikbayan box. It has been sitting in our guest room for months now. Finally, it's on its way to the Philippines. Yippee! I'm excited for them. Not everybody will be pleased... but, at least I tried. I tend to buy more girly stuff, therefore making my brothers jealous. It's hard to shop for men! Specially teenagers! My apologies...

We went to the twin cities for the weekend. Spent a couple of days with my mother-in-law. She lives by herself and doesn't go out much. So, we took her with us when we did our errands. First stop, drop-off the balikbayan box! She loved the Filipino Store. She said she could spend hours there browsing the aisles and check out different food items. I told her most of the items there needs to be cooked. I don't cook so I was not interested in buying any of them. Bought a bunch of chichiriya instead and a couple goodies for my MIL to try. I wish I know more Filipino dishes other than my ever-famous adobo. Would love to cook for my new family. But sad to say, I don't... So, my apologies... again.

After hours (it was only minutes, but it sure felt like hours!) of being stuck in traffic, we finally made it to Kenny's, my brother-in-law. We visited with them for a few hours, catch up on things and whatnot. Alex's (my nephew) band was rehearsing while we were there, so we had the honor to listen to their music. They supposedly had a paying gig that night. Cool huh! And he's only 16! Anyway, after we got done with our errands, we treated ourselves to a lovely supper at Ruby Tuesday's. That place never fails to impress me with their food! It's always delicious! I forgot to take a picture of my food. Sorry...

Did you notice how I kept apologizing? That's how my mother-in-law was the entire time we were with her. She apologizes for everything! For walking slow, repeating herself, not hearing, eating slow and simply for being old. She is 90. Of course she's like that. We are always patient with her. And I am always respectful. But, there really is no reason to say sorry for being old. She earned the respect and understanding. She deserves the attention and the nice dinner that we insisted on paying. With a smile, I tell her all that and she would just laugh. We love her and I hope someday Rick and I will be blessed with a family who will care for us like we care for her...

The golden rule: "Do unto others what you want others do unto you."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

naay para sa ako??!! hehehe... when na muabot dri?

Joy said...

Wla jud ni isa! hahaha... it'll probably get there in 45-50 days... hopefully. muoli ka?

Anonymous said...

yeah for defo im going home, il be off starting dec24 til jan2 so muoli jud ko.. kalain pud nimo oi wala jud miskan isa para sa akoa?? kinsa lang man babae sa haus si mama si oleb ug si kai! sila lang?? tapos ingon ka dghan!! uhuhuh

oLebb said...

haha.. yawyaw si ping2!! haha

ms firefly said...

in a few months, i think i'll be doing the same joy, the balikbayan box! hehehe