Friday, September 05, 2008

Am I In Trouble?

A couple weekends ago I got really bored. Did everything I could around the house (well, of course not the important part - ironing!) just to keep me busy and not jump off a cliff! Eventually I ran out of stuff to do and so I surfed the net, went to my favorite karaoke site and sang to my hearts delight. I got tired of singing after a while. Then I remembered one of my favorite computer games - Red Alert Counterstrike! It's been eons ago since I last played the game and I remember I was quite fond of it. Luckily one of my brothers was online and so I asked him if it's available to play online. He doesn't think so and suggested that I just download the game. So I did and waited until it gets done. While waiting, I saw one of my friends went online. We started talking and she was bored too. We ended up playing Literati and she was kicking my butt! Finally downloading's done! I was so excited to play the game but unfortunately, it does not work! I guess our anti-virus detected something, so it didn't download properly. Bummer! I ended up uninstalling the game and shopped at Ebay instead. The game is so old Best Buy doesn't carry it anymore. Had to settle for a used one!

Yesterday, Rick got an email from our ISP saying that an illegal download has been done by our account and we have violated the infringement law or something like that... The email went on and on about penalties and fines etc. Got me scared! I apologized profusely to Rick. I felt really bad. Omigosh! What if I get sent to jail? I reasoned to Rick that the game didn't work and I ended up buying the cd anyway! But still, I did try to download and that was the bad part! He got worried too, so he called the company and explained the whole thing. They just want us delete the program from our computer and not to try to "steal" any programs online anymore. Whew! What a relief! No more downloading for me or Rick! Not even songs! I have learned my lesson and promise to be a good citizen from now on... Not fun getting an email like that!

Nope! I am not in trouble! Thank God!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wahahahah.. pinoy blooded!! deebeedee-deebeedee-deebeedee. hahaha.. OMG i didnt realize it would be that strict there even just downloading stuff. Geezz!! ure funny joy!! tagam!! mukatawa nlng ang mga pinoy kung makitan ka namo sa tv nakulong ka kay nagdownload ka ug pirated stuff!!! hahahahahha... duklan jud kang Edu! heheheh. and i disown jud ka ni digong!!!

ms firefly said...

eww, what a scare! do they really check those stuffs now? i told my husband about it because we download lots of programs online. *gasp*

thanks for sharing, it sure is a good warning!

Joy said...

They always check those here. We download songs too but didn't have a problem. I guess it depends on what you download... but this scared us so we stopped! :) Maybe it's not too strict there. I know in the Philippines you can get away with anything! hehehe WTG Edu!

quentinschronicles said...

ate joy,

nakulba-an ko dah grrr pero mao lagi dili matagam kung dili hadlokon na presohon hehe...

mao na ang use sa anti-virus kay ang provider maka kita sa log then pag check mao diay ang rason mao mag yawyaw pud ang ilang kalag.

we learn lessons the hard way. daghan ko kaila na mga noypi apil nako download ug free...but atleast na lingaw ka dula sa ako ug literati oh diba....

Anonymous said...

That is creepy. And I'm sure it would violate privacy laws! At least here in the UK it would. I'd be outraged to see that people are spying on what I do online.

Joy said...

Tell me about it! They can even listen to your phone conversation here! Have something to do with homeland security... They are really strict. Which is good in a way...