Thursday, March 04, 2010

A Milestone



I am officially a US Citizen!

The Naturalization Ceremony happened last November 2009. Took the Oath of Allegiance and had burger and fries afterward. A typical American food. It never really meant anything to me back then, other than, finally I can petition my parents. But today, when I received my US Passport, I truly felt like I belong here. I am an American Citizen. I say that proudly with a smile on my face. It never felt so good hearing those words. It felt like doors of opportunities finally opened up for me. I really don't know why I feel this way because those doors were never closed in the first place. I feel like I can do more with myself now. Empowered!

I told my manager about it and she said she's very proud of me. She knows about my countless immigration appointments and how sometimes she had to change the schedule to accommodate those. She's been very patient with me. That's why, even if my job there isn't very glamorous, I chose to stay because of the people I work with.

Rick and I did not really celebrate this milestone. I wanted to throw a red white and blue party, me wearing a blond wig and serve all American food. That never happened. Never found the time to plan it. Maybe when my parents come then I will throw a party for them and for me with that same idea! Hmmm... that's a thought. Thinking about it makes me excited already! I can finally wear a blond wig! Well, at least have an excuse to wear one anyway.

Dreams do come true! One day at a time...

No comments: