Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Brethren

Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own house.
Give love to your children, to your wife or husband, to a next door neighbor...
Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.
Be the living expression of God's kindness;
Kindness in your smile,
Kindness in your warm greeting.

- Mother Teresa



When I work at the hospital, I mostly work in the employee's cafeteria. Although we call it 'employee's cafe', it is open to the public. That's where family and friends of people at the nursing home or patients at the hospital, go to get something to eat. Although the place is really small, we do have quite a few selection and they are good and cheap. A lot of people commend the cook for making really good food. I like working at the cafe because I get to interact with different people everyday. I have made a few friends along the way. It helps build my confidence too.

There's this old lady who comes through cafe once in a while. She is not an employee and I don't think she's visiting anybody either. The first time I saw her, she told me that she left her wallet at our cafe the day before. She said there was money in it and some house keys. I didn't work the day before so I don't know if anybody had found it. So I just told her that whenever we find something, we always leave it at the Registration Office. I told her she can go check there to see if her wallet was indeed there. But instead of leaving, she stayed and fumbled through her purse and continued to look for her wallet. She then decided to buy food that's worth $1, because that's all she has. I felt sorry for her then, she was old and I thought to myself she is just getting forgetful, like everybody else her age. The next time I saw this lady, she was at my morning job asking for donation for some car crash she was in. Nobody gave her any money at the office, because obviously, she was not hurt! It was a scam! From then on, I was never pleasant with her anymore. Irritates me whenever she comes through cafe because she asks "how much" a million times, she pinches, smells and touches everything! It's annoying!

She was back last Monday. I rolled my eyes when I saw her. I answered her every question with a scowl on my face. She was still eating when I went to the dining area to tidy up the place a bit. She tried to make small talks with me, but I was cold. She continued eating silently while I worked. She must have realized I wasn't interested. All of a sudden, it dawned on me, what if I am being tested by God! I surely did fail big time! What if she's Jesus? I was so rude! I felt ashamed and scared. If it was the end of the world, I surely would have no chance of making the situation right. I quickly tried to right the wrong, I asked her how her food was and wished her a good day. I felt better after that.

Life is already hard as it is. I bet that lady had to beg for money everyday in order to buy food. Thank God for the awakening. Being good is not easy. But it sure does feel good when you are able to brighten up someone's day. Smile! It does wonders for the soul.

No comments: