Friday, October 24, 2008

Catching Up

the view from my hotel room window

It has been a very stressful couple of weeks for me. Too much catching up to do after our hospital trip. Last week, I had to spend a couple nights at a hotel while Rick was in the hospital healing from a procedure done in his heart. The doctors had found a 70% blockage in one of his arteries. They had to put a stent in right away to prevent further damage. Everything went fine and he is home now, back to work and slowly trying to make his routine back to normal again. He's suppose to take it easy for a week or two. So far, he is good as new!

I was planning to write a post while I was in the hotel by myself. But I decided not to. Well, to be honest, I couldn't. The uncertainty of Rick's condition made me miserable. I didn't want to think or have time to think. The morning before Rick left for the hospital, he woke me up to say goodbye. It was not even six o'clock yet. He asked me if I know where his will is. He told me to inform his office that way I can get his life insurance. I was wide awake by then. Teary eyed and accusing him of being stupid. I told him he's not allowed to die! I know he was not joking and was just being realistic. But I don't want to deal with something so depressing, unless I have to. I'll worry about it when it happens. It was not fair of him to discuss such a thing with me, hours before they start poking around his heart! It felt like his last goodbye!

I was too upset/worried to go back to sleep after he left. Tossed in bed and finally decided to go back to my reading. For two nights I buried myself in the mythical world of Twilight. Pretending that the love of my life was invincible and immortal just like the character in the book. I know that's impossible. But sometimes it's nice to escape reality. Although sometimes, I caught myself just staring at the page and thinking about Rick. The thought of losing him was too scary to deal with. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. But right now, he is fine and here with me. That is more important than tomorrow.

So we are back home now. Busy catching up with work. Busy with chores at home. We have decided to change our lifestyle. Start reading labels and eat healthy. Stay away from red meat, fat and sodium. This is not a battle to lose weight anymore. It's about living and enjoying life. And for us to be together forever... I have to join him in his quest to stay healthy and live longer!

3 comments:

Merecil Amigo Kidder (Em) said...

Oh Im sorry about what happen joy! I didn't know that's why you been quit lately.. But Thanks god Rick is doing fine now. Sorry we didn't have a chance to talk that much today. I was busy that time taking care of my resident ds weekend..saon natunong pag-abot nimo ni praning lng og kalit.. naratol ko.. alright talk to you later.. Thanks nga pla sa gulay!

Farrah Alfonso said...

Aww Joy bless you! that's nice to know rick is good as new. Good thing rick got a tough and strong girl in you.hehe if id be in ur shoes id be rolling on the floor crying.. worst id go crazy!! that was a scary sitch i must say but good that both of u are back enjoying life together. :)

ms firefly said...

joy i can imagine the scare you had! kj and i were just talking about our organ donation card, when he told that he doesn't have any special requests when he dies. and i bursted into tears immediately. that is one subject we cannot talk without me crying. whether we are eating dinner or watching tv happily, the mere mention of losing him breaks me down. whew. i feel like crying now na. :)

stay strong, stay healthy. i made lots of diet changes myself because kj has tendencies to have high BP, adding the fact that genetics-wise, his family is prone to it. so even if we are both not fat, we don't eat fatty, salty food. which is good, because i'm not one who eats sausages and meat all the time.

all the best to you both! take care!