Saturday, December 29, 2007

Woeful Saturday

Spent the day mostly curled up in bed. Watched five movies - three of them cartoons and fell asleep in the middle of the last one. I got the cramps real bad, i had to call in sick for work. Arrgh! The wonders of womanhood.

The year is almost over. It seems like time flies! Or so it seems when one is mature enough to know the importance of time. I remember when i was a kid i couldn't wait to grow up, but it felt like forever to gain my freedom and independence. Oh, how i long to be young again... Now, with two jobs, a husband, my family and a home to keep neat, 24 hours is not enough. I am not complaining, i am simply realizing how important it is to live life today and not always yearn for tomorrow.

I guess i feel like this after seeing my mother-in-law slowly losing her memory. She's old. And that's my worst fear. We spent Christmas Eve with her at her apartment. My brother-in-law and his family was there too. So the place was a little crowded. Marie was busy in the kitchen and Rick was helping her while the rest of the group was in the living room playing a catch phrase game. We were a little noisy, but we didn't think that would bother her. Then suddenly, Marie, asked who made the rolls, the food and she couldn't remember why everyone was there. It went on for a couple hours, same questions and no recollection of the day whatsoever. It was sad. Everybody was nervous. We ate and opened the presents. Then she was fine. She didn't know what happened to her. The doctor said she must have been overwhelmed by the day's events. The stress in preparing the food and the noise. She lives alone and so it's always quiet at her place. But she seems fine now (thank God!). Hopefully it stays that way.

The weather wasn't the greatest either. Snowstorm during the weekend and more snow Christmas Day! Driving was terrible! A two and a half hour drive took five hours! Horrible! But it wasn't that bad. It was still fun. I am finally comfortable around my in-laws. They don't ask me specific questions about the Philippines anymore, like traditions and food. Which i am glad because i don't really know what to say. For me, each family has it's own tradition, their own way of celebrating. So i am always careful with my answers. I don't want to give the wrong impression! *-* I got a lot of Christmas presents from them. They were all nice! Thank you! And then i got more when we came home. Thank you, Richard, everything was wonderful! Good shopper!

Life. It's full of surprises.

No comments: