Friday, June 30, 2006

On weddings and divorce

I just got an email from a friend. She told me that they are getting a divorce. It turned out her husband cheated on her. Another Filipina. Sad, but true.

All along I thought inter-country marriages lasts forever. That divorce rarely happens, specially if the guy is older than the girl. (It shows age doesnt stop no one!). It is so hard to marry someone from the Philippines. There's a lot of process you have to go through. Travel, paperworks, and the waiting. These guys have to go through all that just to get the woman of their dreams, the love of their life. It is not easy. Not at all! I was so foolish to believe that the ocean that separates our countries is proof enough for a lasting relationship. I was wrong. Nothing guarantees forever. We have to keep working on it. Love. Respect. Work.

I was gonna tell her how happy i was that we just had our vows renewed. But i guess now is not the right time to share my good news. There's always time for that later. It's ironic how i was so happy celebrating our love and on the other side of the country, someone is grieving.

I consider myself lucky for having someone who cares for me a lot. But this news from her reminded me of how things cannot go exactly as we wanted it to be. We cannot have everything in the world. Do not take for granted what we have now. Be grateful.

No comments: