Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Last Lecture

I watched a show called Primetime last Wednesday. They had a special on the author of the book called "The Last Lecture". The author was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was given 6 months to live. He's a professor in one of the universities here in the US and he gave this very famous "last lecture". You can see clips of this lecture on youtube. Apparently, people who watched and listened to his lecture was inspired by his life that they decided to changed their lives as well. I haven't really had the chance to watch the full clip, but saw bits and pieces of it that night. His line that stuck to my head to this day is "we cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand." Wish it was that easy to look at bad situations and see something good in them. It is not. We mostly see it as bad and further thinking makes it worse. It's basically the same principle as looking at the glass of water half empty or half full. I try to be optimistic most of the time. But there are just days when I wish I can pack my bags and give up.

I really should try to do more with my life. Become somebody rather than a nobody. I wanna make a difference. I wanna be a blessing. I want to be remembered and loved by a lot of people. How and where to start, I don't know... But it's nice to dream. I know an opportunity will present itself someday. God has great plans for all of us.

A line from our high school graduation song:
"Lord, here I am, send me..."

No comments: